Saturday 24 December 2011

Christmas is great for gear

With time off work for the holidays its been great to spend time with the family but its also been great to spend some time training.  How often is the holiday season a time for excessive eating, sweets and drinks.

This year has been different.  We all got gastro! So we have not been eating like made but that being said I have taken the opportunity to do a lot of cardiovascular training.  Everyday has been a good day for a run and 8-10km has made my holiday training not excessive but very fulfilling.

Of course with Christmas comes the opportunity to ask for stuff, and what a score this year.  I received 2 items which I'm very excited to get out and use.

On returning last month from the 4 day hike from Red Jacket to Rumpff Saddle I was able to reflect on what changes I could make in my gear.  Weights, quantities, packaging.  On reflecting on some of the reasons we got lost coming out of Black River I feel like one of the reasons we did get lost was our fear of taking off our packs to get out our assets, maps, compass, GPS etc.  I feel like we avoided for as long as possible getting these items out because of the hassle of taking off our 20kilo packs and knowing we'd have to put them back on a couple minutes later.  So gift 1 will address this.

The Black Wolf Oasis II bum bag (fanny pack) is going to be great for our adventure across the Australian Alps walking track.  






Product specs are as follows.


  • Bungee System
  • Padded Waist Strap
  • Waterproof zip




With sufficient room for maps, compass, GPS and even some snacks & first aid I have no doubt this is going to complement the rest of my pack gear really well.




I may replace the 2 plastic water bottles included for my metal purifying lid bottles but beyond that its just perfect.  Will have to get out in the new year for a couple days with Tim and the boys and test the new addition.



Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap


My second gift that will be coming with me on the Australian Alps Walking Track is from Outdoor research.  This to me looks like the bast headwear I could have asked for for the trail.

This versatile hat has a removable. adjustable skirt that gives you shelter from harsh rays or can be removed when you just need ball-cap coverage.  The lightweight fabric provides UPF 30+ sun protection.  Mesh side panels let air flow over the sides of your head.

I'm not a fan of hats when on the trail due to the heat retention but I'm confident this will be a lightweight option that will protect me without adding to trail issues.  Again, can't wait to get out and try it on the trail.





Christmas only comes once a year and man have I used it to my best advantage.  Thank you to family that located and presented the gifts to me and thank you for supporting my adventures.



No comments:

Post a Comment