Thursday 5 January 2012

Product review - OR Sunrunner cap


So my last article was about Christmas and how it is useful to top up your pack.  I haven't done  product review really at all so here goes my first attempt at one......


Outdoor Research Sun runner cap




Outdoor Research SUN RUNNER Cap: KhakiThis versatile hat has a removable, adjustable skirt that gives shelter from harsh rays or can be removed when you just need ball cap coverage.  The lightweight fabric provides a UPF 30+ sun protection.  Mesh side panels let air flow over the sides of your head.


I am not a big fan of wearing head gear when hiking, I like to feel the air on my head.  Having a hat on my head seems to be a barrier between me an nature, I feel cheated like I am unable to breath in the full freshness of the air around me with one on.  But of course there is the practical side of wearing a hat that it keeps sweat from dripping down into my face, protects my face and in this case neck from the elements which on hot days will no doubt make the trek less pleasurable.

I've been wearing my new outdoor research sun runner not only on my morning 4.2km runs but for much of my physical training and really any outdoor activity, cutting grass and washing the car included.  Its really lightweight which makes it almost unnoticeable.  The brim is not thick and heavy but instead very lightweight and pliable.

During my first couple runs I put the breathability to the test.  In the past I have found wearing a hat has increased the amount I sweat.  I could take my old caps off and I would feel a rush of cool air hitting my heated head.  This was not the case when I took of the sun runner.  There was no temperature change when removing the cap which to me says the vents are keeping my cool not adding to my temperature and sweat.

The featured removable neck and face protection are easy to attach and remove while on the move but does increase the heat retention around my face when clipped up.  That being said when hiking I do not believe it will have such a noticeable increase as I will not be working as hard as when I do my runs.

Take a moment to hear direct from the staff at Outdoor research about their product.



No comments:

Post a Comment