Thursday 13 October 2011

Consumed by the AAWT

Where do you turn when life is out of control.  There have been periods over the past several years when life seemed out of my control, whether I arrived is that position by my own decision making or was forced there by circumstances out of my control, here I am.  Mental health has been a very important topic in recent years and through numerous influences and supports I find my way forward.
I had an experience about 5 months ago where I came to a crossroads in my relationship with someone close to me, who was also searching for answers.  I could see that their state of mind was not clear. They were not the same  inspiring individual I had recognised as a mentor in the past.  Setting my problems aside, I thought about how I could help reignite this individuals flame.  I decided I need to take him on an adventure and proceeded to research possibilities.

Pow! It smacked me in the face.  The Australian Alps Walking Trail. Bring it on.    

Australian Alps national parks and Alps Walking Track

The official length varies due to constant changes to the route do to some man made causes and a number of natural events, bush fires, regrowth etc. but is somewhere between 650km & 680km of Australian Alpine beauty.  There is very few points along the track which are within contact of any type of civilisation and will take between 32 to 38 days to complete end to end in one hit.  This does not include any rest days if required.  Did I mention the 30 kilos we will be carrying on our backs, small detail.

Walhalla in Victoria is the start of this adventure and we have been down as a family twice now to walk the first days route as a family.  Next month there are a number of weekend getaways with friends and family to discover various sections of the trail in preparation.  As the trail is not marked on all section of the trail we will have to rely on bush navigational skills in order to complete the Trail successful.  If I could borrow someone's Bush Navigational skills I promise I won't lose them!

So what else are we doing to prepare.  I started with the best resource on the topic, John & Monica Chapman & John Siseman's Australian Alps Walking Track guide book.  Priceless descriptions and hints  in relation to where to camp, where to place food drops to be collected during your trip and where to find acceptable water sources for your journey.  Fresh Water will need to be collected daily.

Wikipedia - I honestly never used it before but seriously there are some great links to websites of other Australians who have reported back about their adventures on the trail and have been a great resource to me in preparations.


Am I ready, no.  Planning, I have a lot more planning to do.  And I hope to share my journey with you all.  Gear, maps, safety, food, shelter, comfort, rest day visits from the wife and kids half way through to keep my spirits up all need to be studied and/or planned and it has become a daily process of research when I can in between the work requirements of my business.  I would be on the trail today if I was ready but for now weekends with friends, my supportive wife and my excitable children are great build ups to the big event.

Will I be able to help the person I referred to earlier, they will not be able to attend.  But they are part of my planning and research and will attend at a future date.  They have been uplifted by the opportunity for future adventures and I have been beside myself with excitement.

This will be the biggest adventure I have undertaken.  This is one of the main catalysts for this blog.  This has not fixed the physical problems of the lives in question but has provided a goal which has now consumed my every thought. So in a way it has been an emotional repair kit.

November 5, 2012 is the departure date.  A good mate will be joining me on this experience, Tim Marsden, we have plenty to organise in the meantime so lets hope that time flys!

No comments:

Post a Comment