Monday 13 April 2015

Day 26 Stronach to Mt Talbot Hut Site




Oh welcome morning! Someone please light a firecracker off in that sun so it will hurry up and radiate some heat already.  Last night was cold.  I know what my countrymen in Canada are thinking right now, “Australia, cold! No way”.  After 15 years I have clearly become acclimatized, and last night I felt every degree.  Tricks used to get warm,

  • ·         Zip up the sleeping bag to point where only nose exposed,
  • ·        Put on Kathmandu jumper I’ve been using as a pillow,
  • ·       Place tomorrow’s clothes are the bottom of the sleeping bag to reduce zipper draft,
  • ·       Wear toque,
  • ·       Spoon…..no one and nothing!


As I make my way out of my tent and ready myself for the day, I sense a real day ahead.  With 22 kms to cover to Mt Talbots Hut site.  This felt like a more respectable day compared to the past couple of meanders through the woods. 


Trail start from Stronach camp site.


Having not experienced this part of the trail before I was really taken by the scenery.  It reminded me of the childhood hikes we took as a family to Vermont in the U.S.  A great tree density and a little soggy under foot, you always feel like there is a little adventure just around the bend. 

Paul Barkla had warned me that this area had been flooded and the evidence was still visible.  The majority of the day was walked not on a trail but rather in a slow draining creek, where the trail once was.  It was sunny and warm so there was very little to drain the spirits.  

As I near the end of my journey I find myself already becoming more civilized.  I am worrying about responsibilities, finances, and my family more and more as the trail comes to an end.  Being alone for 20 odd days really allowed me to disconnect from the real world, a time to focus on a singular event.  I highly recommend it to anyone who needs a moment of solitude.  In hindsight I found it reinvigorating.  

Another civilized aspect I start to concern myself with is phone reception.  I am almost out of fuel and food.  If Megan expects to eat in the 16hrs we will be together in the bush she better get Tim to bring both.  Periodically today I get the old blackberry out and check for reception but it is not till I reach the Mt Baw Baw Alpine Village junction that I am able to get through and secure a number of extra treats as well.


Junction markers



Not long after, I cross paths with Ed.  An older gentlemen that has just walked in for some fitness from the Mt St Gwinear car park.  He explains that he comes through the area every so often to stay healthy and clear his head.  Wise man!  I tell him of my travels and we share a couple stories before wishing each other a good day and parting ways.  As we started to depart I thought, “wonder if he has any food?”  Unfortunately Ed had only packed himself as traditional serving of a cheese sandwich.  No luck this time.

Knowing I am now only 7 kms from the days resting place I find myself splashing through the creek bogged trail.  Jumping around corners and performing the odd Air Jordan symbol launch of rocky obstructions.  Once again I am reminder of my time on the Appalachian Trail in Vermont with my siblings and cousins.  Our parents telling to slow down as we launch off rocks, running down hill through loose pick up sticks and soil.  I find myself thinking I should have played down the entire AAWT, would have been a blast. 

 
Random photo of the trail, great day!


I am nonetheless disturbed with the various camping spots I pass.  There seems to have been a new hiking and camping manual distributed that I was not aware of which reads “Please, if you use this place make sure to leave as much food rappers and beverage containers as you can possible dispose of.  This will ensure you are the last person to enjoy this place!”  It was a real sign of how close to “civilization” I was.  Strange, I feel like as the dirty smelly hiker I am actually being more civilized then civilization. 

With these locations behind me it doesn’t take long to come past this great timber foot bridge with a gushing creek passing below.  I follow the creek down to Mt Talbot Hut site in the glowing warmth of an afternoon sun.  What a place.  Surrounded by large boulders, the remaining chimney stands proud as the centerpiece of the clearing. 

I set up camp, have a rationed snack, and begin to create a to do list whilst I have this warm sunny day.  There are 2 things that become the focal point of my afternoon, washing the laundry and improving my hygiene in general.  I fill up my portable collapsible kitchen sink and wedge it between two boulder crevasses.  Wedged there I set about washing every piece of clothing I have in my pack and on my being.  It takes 7 or 8 refills to get it all done and in the end, my 2m length of guy line is no match for the quantity of clothing requiring drying.  I lay all of the quick dry material garments on the large rocky boulders facing the sun and let the thicker garments hold place on the line.

My attention turns to my personal hygiene.  I know I stink and can only imagine how Megan is going to respond to the odour.  I remember back to Thredbo YHA when Jochen or myself would open our room door.  Our gear had such a stink it was hard for us to even hide our offense.  I am attached to that aroma a thereby know that I would only be worse now.

Knowing how much Megan has supported this adventure, I don’t want to ruin our reunion with my stink.  The following is not news to any one who has hiked.  So my wording relating to it being something developed is clearly misguided and a sign of how exhausted I am.  Although I don’t feel exhausted.  Also, the thumbnail may show that there is some skin in this video.  If you are friends with me on facebook, you've seen it before!  Viewer discretion is advise.........





Having cleaned up and got some food in, I settle down early tonight because frankly there is nothing else to do!  Its felt good to get some housekeeping done and tomorrow I will see Megan for the first time in 27 days (we have never been apart in 13 years for more than 4 or 5 days).  I will also see Tim again.  Man he has so made this happen for me.  What a guy.  If I ever decide to do this again I’ll have to get him to be my home based again!  Just playing bud…….hope we can share the experience next time.  I hope I can sleep in tomorrow as there is only 4.2 kms to do before the 12noon meeting time.  I may have been patient along the trail, but when I get to that car park I am going to be pretty keen for some human contact.

An extra little video showing the water source at Mt Talbot hut site.




No comments:

Post a Comment