Thursday 2 April 2015

DAY 25 - Australian Alps Walking Track

I have woken up this morning regretting some of the weeks decisions.  I could be done by now, I could have gone harder.  I could have less rest days.


Oz4adventure T-shirts - My Birthday gift from Tim.


It doesn't take me long however to recognise that this whole trek wasn't all about me.  It was also about the people who supported me.  My wife, who I am now waiting for and Tim who even now is my support.  Visiting me at Hotham, keeping Megan updated, bringing Megan to the trail now and then my kids on the last day.  So sure I could have done it faster and been done now, but I wouldn't have enjoyed time with Tim at Hotham, and I wouldn't have the chance to walk the last day with my wife.


Leaving Namadgi 25 days ago with Tim.

Faster definitely would not have been better!


Thomson River, camped beside the river last night.

So day 25 starts with a cold river crossing of the Thompson River.  I left my hiking boots off this morning as I knew straight away I'd be getting wet.  Having never been here before I am uncertain whether this current is standard or more aggressive then normal, but it is not an easy crossing.  I would not have attempted it without walking poles thats for sure.  Once crossed I get dressed for the day.  It is raining lightly this morning and I found last night to be much colder than even the nights on the peaks near Kosciuszko, so am bundled up.

Its not far along the Thomson Jordan Divide Road that I come past Easton Dam.  It dawns on me that this place is like the cities we all live in.  We are the water, plentiful and free.  But we surround ourselves with boundaries which inevitably funnel us down a pre-determined route.  It is only once every so often that a branch falls in and diverts us down a new course, a new adventure.  

Easton Dam


I return to my adventure once more; to the tree lined scrub of the trail.  It’s not long before I cross paths with Paul Barkla.  Paul is on his 3rd day of his end-to-end adventure and fills me in on the flooding that occurring 3 weeks back, which prevented his original start date from happening.  It was a really surreal experience to meet Paul as one of the first things he told me was that he had been following my progress online through my Spot tracker interface.  That was really cool to know that another adventure seeker was watching my adventure as a prelude to his own.


Paul Barkla


Paul has a great story to tell as well.  Paul had been in a car accident 7 years prior, which had damaged his spine.  Through out his rehabilitation he was encouraged to set a goal that he would achieve once he was mobile again.  The AAWT was his goal. Amazing.  Having stood in the rain for about 15 minutes we wished each other all the best and continued on.  I hope Paul is reading, I'd like to hear from you.  

The balance of the day was uneventful, just a relaxing stroll really.  Passing the standard trail historical markers I find myself feeling like I am on a tourist trail now, and less of an adventurer.

On arrival at Stronach Camp I immediately try to determine the best water source.  I have plenty of time in the day so I wander around for a couple hours believing I can find a better source than the brown pond scum located near camp.  Having succumb to my thirst, I brushed the top scum aside and filled up.

I set up camp by the old trail junction and boiled my water.  It’s about 4pm and I’ve eaten dinner and a snack but find myself starving.  Being out here required me to be so focused, so alert.  Now with the hike concluding in relatively short walks, it seems like my body wants for massive quantities of food.   Its also getting really cold.  Much colder than any other night I’ve had on the entire journey.  I rug up in my sleeping bag with my thermals on and continue to boil up water.  All I can do is lay here and feel my stomach aching.  I can feel my insides eating away at my insides!  I am going nuts.  I count my food in order to verify how much I can really eat tonight without leaving myself in strife between now and meeting up with Megan and Tim.  I have a second round of soup and mountain breads, a Cadel Evans energy bar and a pack of oatmeal.  It’s like it was all just air.  I could eat my own hand I’m so hungry.


Starvation cell! I mean 'Home'
 

I fall asleep eventually but wake again at about 9am in gut wrenching agony from starvation.  I had made an error prior to Rumpff Saddle.  Expecting to have a fresh stick of german mettwurst in my Rumpff Saddle food drop, I chucked out about 150 grams of meat after lunch to avoid carrying the weight.  Turns out there was not a new stick at Rumpffs Saddle and I an now left meatless.   I think this is playing a major part on my daily hunger factor.  This is a real lesson learned to keep your food equally spread across each drop.  You may not remember variations to your buckets when you are out there. 





I suffer through the pain by eating a dry packet of oatmeal.  As this has turned out to be the coldest night in my hike I don’t feel like getting the stove out and opening the front of the tent.  Raw oatmeal is not that bad really.  It would have been worse if it didn’t have all the sugar and fruits in the mix.


In 2 more days I will meet up with Megan and we will finish this adventure together.  I have time on my side so my mind starts to identify shortcomings in our plans to walk the last 11km’s or so together.  The main point that I feel Megan will be concerned about is that I really stink.  All my stuff stinks.  I mean seriously, even in this freezing weather I can smell the nasty aroma of hard work.  Hopefully tomorrow will bring an opportunity to wash up!





No comments:

Post a Comment