Monday 25 June 2012

PURPOSE

So training is going well.  Planning is forever, it continues to be an activity that will get even more precise as we come closer to our departure date.  Mentally I have hit a hurdle.  With the change of the seasons and a small operation I have found myself out of rhythm. 

I truly believe that a personal rhythm is a massive deference in how you feel about life, how you are progressing with your goals and your mental health in general.  Of course, the weather being a little colder and a little wetter as well has seem to weigh heavily on me.  

My training is good but it has been better.  This darn weather, if it wasn't raining I'd be more motivated.  I start to kick myself for ever slowing the training down.  I start to get negative, restless, and it is even causing me to not sleep.



It has made me think of the reasons I'm doing this hike.  Bringing up a young family, I want to show them an example on a number of levels.  I want to show them a good work ethic, community awareness, and self worth.  I want them to understand that sometimes we need to lean on others and external influences to make life work.  Hopefully they will understand at an earlier age how their own mind work and this will help them to become well rounded happy individuals.

So, I'm a little down.  I acknowledge that, so I went on to BeyondBlues website and had a read and self-assessment on a couple of their checklists.  Its good to know their are some discreet tools out there that we can all use to self check ourselves.  At the end of the day I've got the "Blues" but thats about it at this stage.  I know this is a small down at the moment and I just need to keep looking forward, especially looking forward to the hike.  As we get closer I know I will be so excited that I'll come good.  

If anyone else has the winter blues, chin up, have a chat to someone or jump onto the Beyond Blue website for assistance.  

As for me, I need to get outside and get some fresh air.  Sounds like a training hike is in order, anyone interested?

As a final note...  I want to send out my congratulations to my cousin Teresa Belanger for completing her Alaskan marathon last week.  So proud of you Terry.  Teresa raise funds for Cancer research which  is a very close topic for all Belangers.  Secondly, a big shout out to my good mate Troy Staples who last weekend also completed his Cancer fundraising even in Canada "Ride to Conquer Cancer".  Epic ride mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment