Monday 10 February 2014

Day 18 - Australian Alps Walking Track

While at Mt Hotham I had some mobile phone coverage so was able to talk to Meegs.  She had a great idea.  How awesome would it be if she was able to hike the final day with me!  I was so excited by the prospect, that would be an epic finish to this adventure.  We made plans with Tim to give Megan a drive out to Mt Erica carpark November 27th and with our good friend Stephanie Sommers to watch the kids.  Tim would then have to drive our kids out the very next day so we could all be together at the finish line!  For any of you that don't know Tim, I'm sure you can tell by now that this guy is a "Legend"

So This morning I get out late.  There is a tradesman working on the Leeton Lodge and he offers to cook up Bacon and eggs.  So that caused a significantly late start.  Tim gave me a ride up the road to the trail start and off into the bush I went, again.


Plenty of burnt gums from the last fire that spread through Hotham


Leaving Mt Hotham was a much different feeling than leaving Thredbo.  I left Thredbo full of energy and focus, as well as a mission to impress.  I knocked out a massive day the day after my rest at Thredbo and I felt great.  Leaving Mt Hotham this morning was a mellow experience.  I had no excitement, no drive.  I thought later this could have been the 15 pieces of bacon I ate for breakfast!  But honestly, I had even spoken to Megan about it the day before.  This is just a hike, why am I trudging off by myself again?  Why does it really matter whether I finish or not?


Megan's response was simple.

You have got to do it!  Finish it, I love you.


How can you argue with a woman like that...... so I head off towards the Twins with my mind on the idea that this isn't all kisses and giggles any more.  I walk past this little campsite on my left, think "huh, cute" and keep on trudging up the 4X4 Twins track.  About 45minutes later I realise I have missed the trail to go over the Twins.  I am really pissed off with myself.  This is the 3rd or 4th junction that I have looked straight at and then just walked on past.  I have a look at the map and see where the trail comes past the track I'm on, although the Twins track I'm on is adding about 2km's!  I race off just pissed off with it all, cross paths with a 4X4 with a couple dogs in the back seat.  Before long I have made the spot where I desired to get back on the trail.  Leaving the road and I start climbing this incredibly steep climb over unnamed summits.  Once on top it was pretty easy to follow the trail but I just can't shake the disappointment of missing yet another trail junction.






Its about 2pm when I decide to stop and have a snack/lunch on a massive log near the old Murray Hut site.  I eat up the mountain bread, parmesan cheese and salami and pack up to go again.  I check the maps and the next junction should just be 1.5km's up the road.   So I decide to put my head down for some reason and walk straight past all the massive signs that say the junction details and that I should be turning.  I stay on the Mt Murray South Track instead, I go about 2kms and about 300m higher in elevation than I expected today before I realise that I missed it.  I am just off my game today.  So pissed off with all my errors.  Take a photo of the signs that I walked right past!






NOW back on the Twins Track there is no other junctions to camp so I just race off in the hope to raise my spirits.  I none the less check every intersection to double check my position and direction as 2 set backs today is enough.  I stay tonight at Selwyn Creek road campsite.  I spend the night eating and calculating how to make my appointment with Megan on November 27th.  It feels really weird to all of a sudden have to meet a specific deadline.  I have been playing each day as it comes, now I have to switch gears and only walk to that schedule.

I just go to bed angry about the whole day.


No comments:

Post a Comment