Saturday 4 January 2014

Day 7 & 8 - Australian Alps Walking Track





What a morning.  Having awoken with the sun on the summit of Mt Tate with the knowledge that today I would reach Thredbo Ski Village and have a shower and a fresh made meal, I was jumping out of my skin to get moving.  The views are amazing this morning.  I really felt like I was in a very special part of the Australian wilderness.


Typical trail conditions near Mt Tate

I'm finding really difficult to write about day 7 as the whole day was so scenic and wonderful.  I think I might just put a whole bunch of photos up with captions and leave story telling out of this post.


Typical views for today

The Sentinal just over my right shoulder tough to get a selfie with the Peak!


Snow peaks


Views To Mt Kosciuszko 

Mt Kosciuszko - Highest Peak in Australia

This young lady brought a pet Kangaroo up the mountain 6.5km boardwalk trek from Thredbo



Having climbed up and down Mt kosciuszko with the groups of tourists I made my way down to the chairlift and had a fresh chicken wrap and coke at Black Bettys Cafe on the mountain.  I spoke with a couple of people about what I was doing and most were more impressed with my wife allowing me to go away for  month whilst she stayed home and cared for our 3 children.  I then took the chairlift down to Thredbo village and made my way to the Thredbo YHA. https://www.facebook.com/ThredboYHA

The YHA were storing my food drop as well so on so many levels I was excited to be there.  My right foot was now a bloody and blistered stump.  I hobbled around organising myself to do my laundry and have a shower.  With both organised I then had a pleasant surprise.  When Tim and I had dropped our food drop to the YHA a month earlier they mentioned we were the second group of the year to leave a drop with them.  Jochen Spencer was walking south to north and we expected we would cross his path at some point.  With both Jochen and myself ahead of our own schedules we ended up sharing a room at the YHA.  I had not met Jochen before but when he walked into the YHA I knew straight away it was him.  At first he probably thought I worked there as I helped him get his pack to the ground and addressed him by name.  Jochen is a great photographer and I encourage everyone to checkout his site http://www.atraxarta.com.au/


Jochen and I spent the next day exchanging track notes and ideas and had a couple good meals together.  In relation to the YHA facilities, really great.  Good size rooms, great common areas to relax and recover and a massive share kitchen.  To be honest I think the first night I may have insulted Jochen, I ended up not sleeping in our room.  Travelling around a lot through life you end up being a couch connoisseur and let me tell you its been years since I slept on such a comfortable couch.  Top notch.  I awake the next morning with about 18 other guest eating breakfast just across from me.  They were good sports!  




TEAM THREDBO YHA

I had missed the pharmacy on day 1 at Thredbo so early the next morning I headed down to the pharmacy.  The lovely lady advised me on my injuries and sold me $121 worth of medical supplies and told me to take 3-4 days off.  I took 1 extra night off and then kept going.  This meant I got to have a second pub meal at the local.  The next day I was full of energy and I believe it was from 2 pub meals 2 nighst in a row.  While having my meal I came across David and Hayden from night 3, we trade our stories briefly.  I could see that they were disappointed to see me, they expected me to be well on my way to Hotham by now.  The next day I made up for it!



One of the feet blisters...blister on a blister on a blister!

5 comments:

  1. Great stuff JAB. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark. I was just reflecting on the trip today. I think it is just starting to settle in that I completed this goal which was such a motivation to me for the last 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story. Keep the posts coming. The aawt is on my short list and once I can get a month off, I'm there ! I would be really interested in your food and ear lists and your distance log, if available. Well done, Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pete, Great to her from readers. I do plan on publishing my gear list including what I ended up posting home, ralising it was weigh unnecessary, for instance my hiking shorts that no longer stayed on my hips, or my person in general so i did the balance in a pair of running shorts . Same with the food, I will try get that on here once the story telling is done also with some reviews of the gear I used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John, my bro and I are thinking of walking a section of the AAWT from Kiandra to Kosciusko (or maybe starting from Tharwa). We have done a lot of multi-day hiking before, the only thing we are concerned about here are the sections with no track. We haven't had to deal with that before. Do you think those sections are doable for people with no prior experience?

    ReplyDelete